This parish was founded by Cardinal Mooney in 1946 and Father Victor Lorenz was the appointed pastor with mass being held at nearby Mann Elementary School until the rectory and the first church building’s construction was completed in 1947. In 1950, the first part of the convent and the first classrooms, 101 -104 were built.
Ground was broken for the permanent structure in September, 1961. In the cornerstone, Father Lorenz placed the names of the priests, teachers and students, and copies of the three Detroit newspapers. One year later, December, 1962, the church was completed and dedicated by Cardinal Dearden.
St. Suzanne’s merged with Our Lady Gate of Heaven, Detroit, in 2002.